The face plays a significant role in defining our appearance. It is precisely the reason why we tend to take utmost care of our face. We take various measures to beautify the skin of our face and ensure a smooth, glowing, and youthful appearance. Boosting collagen levels in the skin plays an integral role improving the aesthetics.
Now, the major question that arises in this regard is how to restore collagen in the face. For effectively doing the same, it is important to understand what is collagen and the process to follow for boosting up of collagen in facial skin. Let us delve a bit deeper into the topic for a detailed understanding.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
- What is Collagen?
- How Important is it for the skin?
- Treatment used to rebuild collagen
- How to boost collagen naturally?
1. What is Collagen?
Collagen is a major structural protein in the body’s extracellular matrix found in various connective tissues. It is the most abundantly found protein in the body of humans, especially in the bones, skin, muscles, and tendons. Generally, proteins play several important roles in the human body that includes providing structure to the skin, helping in blood clotting, and many others.
Collagen is a protein that helps to hold the tissues together and forms a scaffold for providing strength as well as structure. Collagen is hard, insoluble, and fibrous, making up a total of one-third of the total protein in human beings. Collagen for the face is packed together to form long chains. These chains act as supporting structures and bind cells to each other to give skin strength as well as tightness.
There are more than 16 different types of collagen, but among them, 80 to 90 percent belong to the four types mentioned below.
- Type I – This type of collagen forms about 90 percent of the body and is made of fibres that are densely packed. Type I collagen provides structure to bones, skin, tendons, fibrous cartilage, teeth, and connective tissue.
- Type II – Type II collagen is made up of more loosely packed fibres. It is found in elastic cartilage, which helps in cushioning the joints in the body.
- Type III – Type III collagen supports the structure of organs, muscles, and arteries.
- Type IV – This type of collagen helps for the purpose of filtration and is found in the layers of the skin.
2. How Important is it for Skin?
Collagen is immensely important for skin, especially collagen for the face. It is one of the most important ingredients of a wide array of beauty products. From this, it can be very clearly understood how beneficial collagen is for the skin. Here are some ways, how collagen is important for the skin:
- Collagen for face helps in the reduction of visible wrinkles
- Works as an anti-aging agent for skin
- Increases the blood flow to the skin
- Collagen prevents sagging of skin and makes it firmer to give a plump as well as youthful look
- Helps in quick repairing of the skin by facilitating the healing of wounds
- Collagen brings about an improvement of the overall health of the skin
Thus, it becomes extremely important to understand how to restore collagen in the face and skin to make it appear beautiful.
3. Treatments Used to Rebuild Collagen
To keep the skin healthy for a youthful appearance, it is of immense importance to understand how to boost collagen in the face as well as the skin. Here are a few of the common treatment procedures that are used for rebuilding collagen for face and skin.
IPL therapy or Intense pulsed light therapy is a special type of photo facial that helps in the improvement of colour and texture of the skin without any kind of surgery. It is one of the most precise treatments to restore collagen in the face in the best possible manner. IPL therapy works by sending out pulsating light of more than one wavelength, which helps in treating a wide array of skin conditions.
Micro-needling is a specialized procedure where small fine needles are used for poking holes in the skin to boost up the collagen production in the face. This, in turn, helps reduce wrinkles, fine lines, and pore size leading to enhanced skin firmness as well as suppleness.
Resurfacing refers to the removal of skin layers one after the other with utmost precision with the help of lasers. The fresh or new skin cells that form during the process of healing gives the skin a firmer and younger-looking appearance. This is exactly how to boost collagen in the face and skin by the resurfacing treatment procedure.
Radiofrequency and PEMF
Radiofrequency and pulsed electromagnetic field or PEMF are two of the commonly used treatment procedures for boosting production for collagen for face and skin, thereby helping to improve the elasticity of the skin. Both of these techniques involve the concept of heating the skin tissues for the stimulation of collagen production. The therapists place a device against the skin for heating the tissues beneath. As a part of the healing process, new cells are formed which provides a youthful appearance to the skin.
Chemical and Laser Peels
Chemical and laser peels play a significant role in peeling off the upper layer of the skin which is damaged as well as dull. This exposes the spotless and flawless skin lying beneath the upper surface of the skin, thereby serving as a great treatment procedure in this regard.
4. How to Boost Collagen Naturally?
In addition to the treatment procedures mentioned above, there are a number of other ways to boost collagen naturally. This can be done by bringing about a change in the diet and lifestyle that are listed below.
- Regular use of collagen creams
- Consistent use of vitamin C creams
- Inclusion of hyaluronic acid in the diet, which is an essential compound for collagen production in the skin by consuming root vegetables, soy, and beans
- Diet should be rich in vitamin C, which includes green leafy vegetables, citrus fruit, strawberries, broccoli, and papaya
- Application of Aloe Vera on skin
- Consumption of foods rich in antioxidants that protect the body from harmful free radicals such as green tea, blueberries, cinnamon, licorice extract, and many more
- Increase the intake of ginseng in the form of tea, tinctures, and supplements
- Avoid smoking and reduce the intake of alcohol
- Protect your skin from the harmful ultraviolet rays from the sun by applying sufficient sunscreen
- Drink eight to ten glasses of water every day to stay hydrated
At Advance Wellness, every individual can be assured of getting the best possible skin treatments depending on the exact concern and the type of skin. All skin treatments are conducted by the experts with the assurance of minimal side effects and desired results within a stipulated time frame. The treatment facilities are available at an affordable price to ensure that prices do not become a hindrance in the path of getting flawless skin.
1^ What is Collagen?, www.healthline.com
2^ What is Collagen?, www.medicalnewstoday.com
3^ How Important is it for Skin?, www.cedars-sinai.org
4^ Treatments Used to Rebuild Collagen, www.webmd.com
5^ Treatments Used to Rebuild Collagen, www.lorealparisusa.com
6^ Treatments Used to Rebuild Collagen, www.webmd.com
7^ Treatments Used to Rebuild Collagen¸ www.allure.com
8^ How to Boost Collagen Naturally?, www.medicalnewstoday.com