Does Laser Hair Removal Work For Women with PCOS?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or PCOS is a health condition that affects approximately 10-15 percent of women across the world. This syndrome results in the development of multiple small cysts around the ovaries’ edges. The health condition also creates an excess of a male hormone, androgen, which results in unwanted hair growth on the back, face, lower legs, abdomen, and chest. We will know here about Laser Hair Removal Treatment for Women with PCOS.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
- Laser Hair Removal and PCOS
- How Should I Prepare for Laser Hair removal?
- Why are so many sessions needed with PCOS?
- Managing Your PCOS with Laser Hair removal treatment
- Aftercare Instructions?
1) Laser Hair Removal and PCOS
Women who are diagnosed with PCOS may experience darker, thicker, or excessive body hair because of excessive body hormones. Thankfully, laser hair removal for women with PCOS is an excellent option as it helps in reducing or removing unwanted body hair to eliminate the constant need for waxing, plucking, or shaving.
If you are diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and have unwanted body hair, you may try out laser hair removal that would help you get rid of constant plucking, waxing, and shaving.
During PCOS laser hair removal, the dermatologist uses intense laser light beams that pass through the skin to the hair follicles for destroying them.
Some of the benefits of laser hair removal for women with PCOS include:
- Pain-free hair removal: Lasers are pain-free when compared to shaving and waxing. While some patients with PCOS may experience minor discomfort with laser hair removal, it usually dissipates on its own within a few hours.
- Treatment of multiple areas: If Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome has resulted in excessive hair growth throughout your body, laser treatment may emerge as the best hair removal treatment to target all those areas at a time. This safe and effective treatment is highly effective on bikini lines, neck, arms, back, chest, face, legs, stomach, and other body parts.
- Improve your body image: Laser hair removal for women can significantly boost the levels of self-acceptance, self-esteem, confidence, and self-awareness. This helps you embrace bathing suits or short sleeves without any worries.
- Permanent hair removal: Women with PCOS can relish the amazing benefits of laser hair removal treatment to enjoy permanent hair removal or reduction in specific body areas.
2) How Should I Prepare for Laser Hair removal?
- Before PCOS facial hair treatment, you should be freshly bathed or showered with completely clean skin. You should not apply oils, fragrances, lotions, serums, or creams of any kind before visiting the skin specialist for PCOS Laser hair removal for women.
- You will be asked to shave the treatment area completely before the treatment. Legs should be shaved more than 24 hours before the treatment to avoid irritation.
- It is highly recommended that you should avoid tweezing, waxing, epilating, or using chemical depilatories between laser treatments.
- You should avoid the use of any topical product that may result in photosensitivity (e.g., salicylic acid, retinol, hydroxy acids, and benzoyl peroxide) for 3-4 days before as part of treatment involving laser hair removal for women. Ideally, you should use a gentle cleanser and lotion on the treated skin areas.
- You should avoid direct sun exposure to the treatment area. The use of UV tanning beds is not recommended for at least 2-3 weeks before the treatment involving laser hair removal for women.
- A broad-spectrum sunblock with SPF 30 or above should be used daily.
- You should abstain from nicotine and alcohol. The use of dermal filler injections, chemical peels, Botox injections, or microdermabrasion in the treatment area should also be avoided for at least 14-18 days before the treatment involving laser hair removal for women.
3) Why are so many sessions needed with PCOS?
Laser hair removal for women with PCOS cannot influence irregularities of the body’s internal hormones. There are certain limitations to what laser hair removal for this treatment for women diagnosed with PCOS can achieve as laser hair removal works solely on the skin surface. The growth of hair is resilient and persistent with PCOS. You can expect to maintain significant results once you have attained significant reductions in hair growth after a complete course of laser PCOS facial hair treatment.
Since the hormone profile of every woman is different, the count and frequency of laser PCOS facial hair treatment sessions will depend on the woman accordingly. Less frequent maintenance treatments will happen for larger body areas but facial hair treatment should ideally be maintained for a cycle of 8-12 weeks.
4) Managing Your PCOS with Laser Hair removal treatment
If you have been diagnosed with PCOS and have unwanted facial hair, you can reach out to a reputed and experienced dermatologist to address all your concerns and goals in a relatively short period of time. The entire procedure takes approximately 30-50 minutes and is completely safe. There are no complications associated during and after PCOS Laser Hair removal treatment.
5) Aftercare Instructions
It is important to follow the undermentioned tips, precautions, and suggestions to get the best results out of your PCOS laser hair removal treatment:
- Aloe vera or over-the-counter hydrocortisone may be prescribed by your cosmetologist to alleviate irritation or redness.
- Excessive heat should be avoided in the treatment area. Therefore, the use of hot tubs, saunas, or intense workout sessions is not recommended for at least 24-48 hours after the PCOS laser hair removal treatment session.
- An active lifestyle and abstinence from nicotine, alcohol, and too much caffeine are also recommended.
- A healthy diet should be taken and engage yourself in regular exercises, cardio sessions, strength training, and meditation.
- You should try to wake up and sleep early and avoid excessive use of gadgets, especially during the night times as they may interfere with your sleep and overall health.
- You should strictly follow all the aftercare instructions prescribed by your cosmetologist.
- Avoid direct exposure to the sun; use sun protection with a minimum SPF of 30 every day.
If you are looking for the best hair removal treatment for PCOS, you can reach out to Advanced Wellness that is regarded as the best laser hair removal clinic in Gurgaon because of its high success rate and reliance on the latest technologies and state-of-the-art infrastructure.
Offering the best hair removal treatment for PCOS, Advanced Wellness can be contacted to avail of the latest PCOS facial hair treatment and laser hair removal for women. Advanced Wellness has an experienced team of qualified dermatologists, cosmetologists, and other medical professionals who can assist you with the best hair removal treatment for PCOS.